Unit: Multiplication and Division
Use the list below to access the key lessons for this unit from Illustrative Mathematics® (IM). Within each key lesson, you will find related lessons that support the key lesson’s topic. Some key lessons below are labeled as “optional.” Instructors with a faster-paced class that only needs to review major concepts might skip these lessons, while instructors whose students need more thorough coverage and review of the content or that have not completed a related unit, might use these optional lessons.
Click on the hyperlinked lesson description to learn more about each lesson. The numbers show the grade, unit, and lesson number of the lesson.
- 3.1.13 – Introducing multiplication equations
- 3.1.14 – Multiplication equations with unknowns (using diagrams)
- 3.1.20 – Commutative property of multiplication
- 3.2.5 – Connecting area to multiplication
- 3.2.13 – Finding area of shapes made up of rectangles (without grid lines)
- 3.4.3 – Division: finding the number in each group and finding the number of groups
- 3.4.6 – Division as an unknown factor
- 3.4.11 – Multiplication strategies with rectangles (ungridded)
- 3.4.14 – Multiplying teen numbers using area diagrams
- 3.4.17 – Two-step word problems
- 3.4.20 – Dividing two-digit numbers by single-digit numbers
- 3.4.21 – Two-step word problems