National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) Parent Education and ILA Lesson Plans
- Be a Word Detective – NCFL 1
- The Sounds of Language – NCFL 2
- Speaking and Listening – NCFL 3
- Sharing Books and Reading Aloud – NCFL 4
- Fluency – NCFL 5
- Experiencing Reading – NCFL 6
- What’s in a Crowd – NCFL 7
- Before, During, and After Reading Strategies – NCFL 8
- Phonics – NCFL 9
- Cause and Effect – NCFL 10
- TV or Not TV – NCFL 11
- Sequence – NCFL 12
- Graphic Literacy – NCFL 13
- Alike and Different – NCFL 14
- Figurative Language: Idioms – NCFL 15
ESL Lesson Topics
- Speaking and Listening – Corresponds with NCFL 3
- Read Aloud – Corresponds with NCFL 4
- Read Aloud – Part 2
- Partner Reading – Corresponds with NCFL 5
- Before Reading – Corresponds with NCFL 8
- Before Reading – Part 2
- Before Reading – Part 3
- TV or Not TV – Corresponds with NCFL 11
- Sequencing – Corresponds with NCFL 12
Early Childhood Assessment Resources
- ACIRI Scoring Job Aid helps you to reground yourself in how to complete the ACIRI inventory.
- ACIRI Questions and Answers
- ACIRI Bibliography
- ACIRI Parent Presentation Plan
- Reading Skill Builders for Parents and Children
- ACIRI Flashcards for Parents
- ACIRI Activity Calendar
- ELAP/LAP3 Scoring Job Aid offers a refresher on how to calculate ceiling score, basal score, and developmental age.
- PALS Pre-K and PPVT Implementation Job Aid reviews to reading readiness screening tools for children entering Kindergarten.
- Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test-III (PPVT) link to ordering information for the PPVT.
- Phonological Awareness Literacy Scales for Pre-Kindergarten (PALS Pre-K) link to ordering information for the PALS Pre-K.
- Pearson special recommendations for telepractice and the PPVT-4
Developing Early Literacy Report – The National Early Literacy Panel (NELP) conducts research on the development of early literacy skills in children ages zero to five. NELP identified skills considered to be predictors of school success. These predictors are included in the NCFL Parent Education and ILA Lesson Plans. Read the Developing Early Literacy Report and Summary and NELP Predictors Overview.
Family-Centered Coaching – Family-Centered Coaching is a set of strategies, tools, and resources that adult education programs can use to support families who are facing poverty. An open-source toolkit is available.
Family Literacy Professional Development
Family Literacy Overview Staff Induction Module – The Family Literacy Overview module is one in a series of modules for new agency staff members as part of a customizable onboarding process. The module introduces participants to the four components of family literacy programming and shares resources and strategies for integration. This staff induction module is a pre-requisite for Family Literacy Foundations.
Family Literacy Foundations – The course Family Literacy Foundations is for staff new to family literacy programming or experienced staff who wish to refresh their skills. The course provides an explanation of the components of a family literacy program, including the purpose of each and how it relates to an integrated family literacy program. The course focuses on the importance of and strategies for integrating the four components. The course also introduces participants to key resources and planning tools.
Introduction to eData v2 for Family Literacy – This course provides a basic introduction to the specifics of family literacy data entry in the eData system. If you are new to eData and need to learn data entry into the system, please register for the Introduction for eData for Adult Education in addition to this course.
Using and Scoring the ACIRI – This asynchronous course is for family literacy program staff who administer, score, and use the results of the ACIRI for assessing the effectiveness of parenting education and interactive literacy activities.
Early Learning Accomplishment Profile (E-LAP) and Learning Accomplishment Profile, 3rd Edition (LAP-3) Assessment Implementation – This course is for family literacy staff who will be using the Early Learning Accomplishment Profile (E-LAP) and/or the Learning Accomplishment Profile, 3rd Edition (LAP-3) for child assessment. The course reviews the logistics of implementing the assessments in a variety of settings and provides participants with opportunities to practice calculating chronological age, basal score, ceiling score, and developmental age.
View the PA Adult Education Resources PD Portal catalog and enroll in courses.
- National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) provides literacy strategies, programming, and resources.
- First Book Marketplace provides discounted books for organizations that serve children in need of access to books.
- The Goodling Institute offers resources for the professional development of family literacy educators. A broad range of resources is available on the searchable database.
Websites for Early Childhood Education
- Fred Rogers Center features videos, ebooks, games, music, and other interactive tools to support early literacy
- PNC Grow Up Great features free, high-quality resources to engage young learners.
- Zero to Three provides extensive resources and tools focused on the development of infants and toddlers.
Websites for Parenting Education and Interactive Literacy Activities
- Be a Learning Hero partners with trusted experts to provide the best resources to help children succeed in school.
- The Parent Toolkit App is to designed to help parents navigate their child’s growth and development from Pre-K through 12th grade in the classroom and beyond.
- PBS Kids has resources and multimedia activities for parents and children focusing on school readiness.
- Reading Rockets creates and disseminates free, evidence-based information about reading through three major services: PBS television programs, online services, and professional development opportunities.
Websites for Adult Education
- ReadWorks creates content, teacher guidance, and integrated tools that improve teacher effectiveness and student achievement. With free accounts, teachers can select from fiction and nonfiction passages by grade level and topic.
- Newsela allows teachers to select authentic text from over 100 sources. Materials are available at five different reading levels, and 10 new texts are published daily.
- Explore resources from your peers at the PA Adult Ed Resources Lesson Bank.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader