On-Demand and Scheduled Professional Development
The Professional Development System (PDS) provides on-demand as well as scheduled professional development opportunities through this website and PA Adult Education Resources PD Portal. You can learn more about the on-demand and scheduled professional development activities under these categories.
You can enroll in the following courses in the PA Adult Education Resources PD Portal. Please view the course catalog for availability.
- BEST Literacy Implementation Training
- BEST Plus 2.0 Test Administrator Trainer
- BEST 2.0 Scoring Refresher
- Early Learning Accomplishment Profile (ELAP) and Learning Accomplishment Profile – 3rd Revision (LAP-3) Assessment Implementation
- PA CASAS Training
- PA TABE 11 & 12 Training
- Using and Scoring the ACIRI
These on-demand job aids for early childhood education assessment are available on demand by clicking on the title.
College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS)
Please note, if you are interested in using one of these modules as part of the PA Staff Induction Process, enroll in the same module in PA Adult Education Resources PD Portal for tracking purposes rather than viewing the on-demand module below.
Introduction to the CCRS and Key Instructional Advances
Estimated time: 15 minutes – These modules will provide an overview of the CCRS and resources available to support incorporating these standards into teaching.
- CCR Standards Introductory Module
- On-Demand Module: College and Career Readiness Standards Overview – English Language Arts
- On-Demand Module: College and Career Readiness Standards Key Shifts for English Language Arts NEW
- On-Demand Module: College and Career Readiness Standards Key Shifts for Mathematics NEW
Using the CCRS ELA Resource Alignment Tool and Key Shifts
Estimated time: 30 minutes each, plus time to review the resource and use the tools – These modules will walk participants through the process of determining how well an English Language Arts (ELA) resource aligns to the standards. Using ELA Tool 1, participants will learn about each key shift and how to evaluate a resource.
Revising and Improving ELA Resources and Lessons
Estimated time: 30 minutes, plus time to review the resource and use the tools – This module will walk participants through the process of revising a lesson to ensure that it addresses skills from the College and Career Readiness Standards. This process can be used with lessons developed by a publisher or teacher-created lessons.
Using the CCRS Math Resource Alignment Tool and the Key Shifts
Estimated time: 30 minutes each, plus time to review the resource and use the tools – In module 1, participants will learn more about the key shifts and math practices. In module 2, participants will deepen their understanding of the standards by determining how well a resource aligns with the key shifts and incorporates math practices.
Revising and Improving Math Resources and Lessons
Estimated time: 30 minutes, plus time to review the resource and use the tools – This module will walk participants through two tools that can be used to ensure that math lessons address skills from College and Career Readiness Standards. This process can be used with lessons developed by publishers or teacher-created lessons.
Focusing on Assignments and Student Work
Estimated time: 30 minutes for each content area, plus time to review the resource and use the tools – This module will walk participants through the student work protocol, which is a process that can be used by teachers to identify areas for improving an assignment based on student work. After a brief overview, participants can choose to view the student work protocol for math and/or English Language Arts.
Distance Learning Webinars
To set up the database template, view the short on-demand online module. For additional information, contact eData Tech Support at 1-877-857-8869 or eDataTechSupport@psu.edu.
NRS Data Use
Staff Induction Modules
Staff Induction Modules are a series of modules for new agency staff members as part of a customizable onboarding process. Agency administrators and the in-house professional development specialist can work with new staff members to identify appropriate modules to build job-specific knowledge. These modules are designed to supplement, not replace, agencies’ own onboarding procedures. Please enroll in staff induction modules through the PA Adult Education Resources PD Portal.
- College and Career Readiness Standards Overview – English Language Arts (ELA)
- College and Career Readiness Standards Overview – Math
- Exploring Adult Education Resources
- Family Literacy Overview
- Introduction to Digital Literacy
- Introduction to Standards-Aligned Lesson Planning
- Introduction to Supplemental Distance Learning
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Second Language
- Introduction to the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Quality Data Flow: Processes and Roles
- Student Intake and Orientation Overview
- Student Support Services Overview
- Teaching Adult Learners
- Using Assessment to Inform Instruction
- Using Assessments to Determine Measurable Skill Gains
- Using the Classroom Toolkit
- Working in a Professional Learning Community
- Writing Lesson Objectives
The online tutor training modules are available to support the training of volunteer tutors and classroom aides by introducing the foundational skills needed when working with adult learners. The online tutor training modules are listed below. Each module will take approximately one hour to complete and can be accessed at any time and as often as needed in the PA Adult Education Resources PD Portal.
- Module 1: Tutoring Practices
- Module 2: Teaching Adults
- Module 3: Teaching Adult Basic Education
- Module 4: Teaching English as a Second Language
- Module 5: Lesson Planning
- Module 6: Using Textbooks and Authentic Materials
- Module 7: Preparing Students for the High School Equivalency Exams
- Module 8: Teaching Strategies
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
Professional development opportunities support programs to provide workforce preparation and readiness activities in the adult education classroom. Visit the PA Adult Education Resources PD Portal to learn more about the available offerings and enroll.
- Contextualizing Instruction Using Career Goals and Local Labor Market Information
- Introduction to the Foundation Skills Framework
- Using Labor Market Data Analysis for Program Planning