Professional Development Resources
- Professional development offerings
- The Literacy Information and Communication System (LINCS) website includes resources, online discussion group, and professional development courses. These courses are self-directed and you will need to create a free login to access these courses.
- College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) and GED® 2014 Resource List
- Focus on Basics Issue covering numeracy.
- Media Library of Teaching Video clips of teachers teaching numeracy.
- Adult Numeracy Network (ANN) A community dedicated to quality mathematics instruction at the adult level.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics “Math Forum” This resource includes complex, deep, rich problems.
- GED® Practice Questions Comprises a series of GED®-type practice tests, complex problems, and a simple format with a link to the GED® Mathamatics Formula Sheet.
- Math in the Workplace Uses real-world math problems to demonstrate the relevance of math in today’s world.
Reading and Writing
- Research-Based Principles for Adult Basic Education Reading Instruction Identifies and evaluates existing research related to adult literacy reading instruction in order to provide the field with research-based products including principles and practices for practitioners.
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWLS) Offers free resources including Writing and Teaching Writing, Research, Grammar and Mechanics, Style Guides, ESL, and Job Search and Professional Writing.
- Teaching Excellence in Adult Literacy (TEAL) Writing Guide Focuses on the content area of writing for Adult Basic Education students.
- Newsela Is an Instructional Content Platform that supercharges reading engagement and learning in every subject.
- Marshall Adult Education The focus of these reading selections cover: Civics, Employment, Housing, Health, School, Money and Government.
- ReadWorks Free content, curriculum, and tools to power teaching.