Lesson 6.8.10 Finding and Interpreting the Mean as the Balance Point
- Teacher guide
- Practice Problems resource
- CCRS standard: 6.SP.3, 6.SP.5c
- Learning goal: Calculate and interpret (orally and in writing) distances between data points and the mean of the data set. Interpret diagrams that represent the mean as a “balance point” for both symmetrical and non-symmetrical distributions. Represent the mean of a data set on a dot plot and interpret it in the context of the situation.
- 6.8 Assessments and Related Lessons
Used with permission:
1. IM K-5 Math was originally developed by Open Up Resources (OUR) and authored by Illustrative Mathematics® (IM), and is copyrighted 2017-2019 by Open Up Resources. It is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). OUR's K-5 Math Curriculum is available at https://openupresources.org/math-curriculum/.
2. Adaptations and updates to IM K-5 Math are copyrighted 2019 by Illustrative Mathematics®, and are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
3. The Illustrative Mathematics® name and logo are not subject to the Creative Commons license and may not be used without the prior and express written consent of Illustrative Mathematics®.
4. This site includes public domain images or openly licensed images that are copyrighted by their respective owners. Openly licensed images remain under the terms of their respective licenses. See the image attribution section for more information.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.