Key Lesson 7.4.4 Half as Much Again
Lesson topic: Fractional increase and decrease
- Teacher guide
- Practice Problems resource
- Card Sort: Representations of Proportional Relationships resource
- CCRS standard: 7.RP.2
- Learning goal: Apply the distributive property to generate algebraic expressions that represent a situation involving adding or subtracting a fraction of the initial value, and explain (orally) the reasoning. Coordinate tables, equations, tape diagrams, and verbal descriptions that represent a relationship involving adding or subtracting a fraction of the initial value. Generalize a process for finding the value that is “half as much again,” and justify (orally and in writing) why this can be abstracted as (3/2)x or equivalent.
- 7.4 Assessment and Practice Problems
There are no related lessons for this key lesson.
Used with permission:
1. IM K-5 Math was originally developed by Open Up Resources (OUR) and authored by Illustrative Mathematics® (IM), and is copyrighted 2017-2019 by Open Up Resources. It is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). OUR's K-5 Math Curriculum is available at https://openupresources.org/math-curriculum/.
2. Adaptations and updates to IM K-5 Math are copyrighted 2019 by Illustrative Mathematics®, and are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
3. The Illustrative Mathematics® name and logo are not subject to the Creative Commons license and may not be used without the prior and express written consent of Illustrative Mathematics®.
4. This site includes public domain images or openly licensed images that are copyrighted by their respective owners. Openly licensed images remain under the terms of their respective licenses. See the image attribution section for more information.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.