Unit: Fractions (Multiplication and Division)
Key Lesson 4.3.4 Equal Groups of Non-Unit Fractions
Lesson topic: Multiplying fractions by whole numbers
- Teacher guide
- CCRS standard: 4.NF.4b
- Learning goal: Recognize that n × a/b = (n × a)/b. Use diagrams to represent and evaluate the product of a whole number and a non-unit fraction.
- 4.3 Assessment and Practice Problems
If students need additional lessons before this key lesson, use these supplemental lessons.
- 4.3.1 Equal Groups of Unit Fractions
- 4.3.2 Representations of Equal Groups of Fractions
- 4.3.3 Patterns of Multiplication
Used with permission:
1. IM K-5 Math was originally developed by Open Up Resources (OUR) and authored by Illustrative Mathematics® (IM), and is copyrighted 2017-2019 by Open Up Resources. It is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). OUR's K-5 Math Curriculum is available at https://openupresources.org/math-curriculum/.
2. Adaptations and updates to IM K-5 Math are copyrighted 2019 by Illustrative Mathematics®, and are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
3. The Illustrative Mathematics® name and logo are not subject to the Creative Commons license and may not be used without the prior and express written consent of Illustrative Mathematics®.
4. This site includes public domain images or openly licensed images that are copyrighted by their respective owners. Openly licensed images remain under the terms of their respective licenses. See the image attribution section for more information.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.