Unit: Fractions (Multiplication and Division)
Lesson 6.4.10 Dividing by Unit and Non-Unit Fractions
- Teacher guide
- Practice Problems resource
- CCRS standard: 6.NS.1
- Learning goal: Interpret and critique explanations (in spoken and written language, as well as in other representations) of how to divide by a fraction. Use a tape diagram to represent dividing by a non-unit fraction a/b and explain (orally) why this produces the same result as multiplying the number by b and dividing by a. Use a tape diagram to represent dividing by a unit fraction 1/b and explain (orally and in writing) why this is the same as multiplying by b.
- 6.4 Assessments and Related Lessons
Used with permission:
1. IM K-5 Math was originally developed by Open Up Resources (OUR) and authored by Illustrative Mathematics® (IM), and is copyrighted 2017-2019 by Open Up Resources. It is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). OUR's K-5 Math Curriculum is available at https://openupresources.org/math-curriculum/.
2. Adaptations and updates to IM K-5 Math are copyrighted 2019 by Illustrative Mathematics®, and are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
3. The Illustrative Mathematics® name and logo are not subject to the Creative Commons license and may not be used without the prior and express written consent of Illustrative Mathematics®.
4. This site includes public domain images or openly licensed images that are copyrighted by their respective owners. Openly licensed images remain under the terms of their respective licenses. See the image attribution section for more information.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.