Unit: Solving Equations and Inequalities
Key Lesson 7.6.8 Reasoning About Solving Equations (Part 2)
Lesson topic: Balancing to solve equations (Part 2)
- Teacher guide
- Practice Problems resource
- CCRS standard: 7.EE.4a
- Learning goal: Compare and contrast (orally) different strategies for solving an equation of the form p(x + q) = r. Explain (orally and in writing) how to use a balanced hanger diagram to solve an equation of the form p(x + q) = r. Interpret a balanced hanger diagram with multiple groups, and justify (in writing) that there is more than one way to write an equation that represents the relationship shown.
- 7.6 Assessment and Practice Problems
Used with permission:
1. IM K-5 Math was originally developed by Open Up Resources (OUR) and authored by Illustrative Mathematics® (IM), and is copyrighted 2017-2019 by Open Up Resources. It is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). OUR's K-5 Math Curriculum is available at https://openupresources.org/math-curriculum/.
2. Adaptations and updates to IM K-5 Math are copyrighted 2019 by Illustrative Mathematics®, and are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
3. The Illustrative Mathematics® name and logo are not subject to the Creative Commons license and may not be used without the prior and express written consent of Illustrative Mathematics®.
4. This site includes public domain images or openly licensed images that are copyrighted by their respective owners. Openly licensed images remain under the terms of their respective licenses. See the image attribution section for more information.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.