Unit: Ratios and Proportions
Key Lesson 7.2.4 Proportional Relationships and Equations
Lesson topic: Proportional relationships and equations
- Teacher guide
- Practice Problems resource
- CCRS standard: 7.RP.2c
- Learning goal: Generalize a process for finding missing values in a proportional relationship, and justify (orally) why this can be abstracted as y = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality. Generate an equation of the form y = kx to represent a proportional relationship in a familiar context. Write the constant of proportionality to complete a row in the table of a proportional relationship where the value for the first quantity is 1.
- 7.2 Assessment and Practice Problems
Review and Extend
Use these supplemental lessons if needed after teaching this key lesson.
- 7.4.2 Ratios and Rates with Fractions
- 7.4.3 Revisiting Proportional Relationships
- 7.2.5 Two Equations for Each Relationship
- 7.2.6 Using Equations to Solve Problems
Used with permission:
1. IM K-5 Math was originally developed by Open Up Resources (OUR) and authored by Illustrative Mathematics® (IM), and is copyrighted 2017-2019 by Open Up Resources. It is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0). OUR's K-5 Math Curriculum is available at https://openupresources.org/math-curriculum/.
2. Adaptations and updates to IM K-5 Math are copyrighted 2019 by Illustrative Mathematics®, and are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
3. The Illustrative Mathematics® name and logo are not subject to the Creative Commons license and may not be used without the prior and express written consent of Illustrative Mathematics®.
4. This site includes public domain images or openly licensed images that are copyrighted by their respective owners. Openly licensed images remain under the terms of their respective licenses. See the image attribution section for more information.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.