Support for ProgramsThe PDS is a group of projects that work together to support adult education and family literacy agencies
The Pennsylvania Professional Development System (PDS) is a group of projects that work together to support adult education and family literacy agencies. The overarching goal of the Professional Development System is to impact and improve student outcomes. The PDS supports agencies, administrators, teachers, tutors, and data management staff in a process of continuous program improvement.
Career Pathways Project – The Division of Adult Education defines Career Pathways as “a series of connected education and training strategies and support services that enable individuals to secure industry relevant certification and obtain employment within an occupational area and to advance to higher levels of future education and training in that area.”
Coaches – The coaches are available to work with professional learning communities to support professional development and program improvement activities in the area of implementation of CCRS. These trained coaches are experienced adult education teachers and have content expertise, as well as backgrounds in using a coaching model to support change. The teacher coaches are supported by the Facilitation and Consultation Project and the Content Experts.
Communications Project – The Communications Project provides communications support to the Division of Adult Education and the Professional Development System. Major project activities include the following:
- Maintain this resource website;
- Create and send newsletters to the field;
- Provide communications and webinar support to the Division and PDS; and
- Develop online courses and resources.
Course Management Project – The Course Management Project provides support for adult education practitioners and the Professional Development System. The project includes the following main activities:
- Manage online courses and provide support to users;
- Identify, develop, and manage the Essential Core Courses’
- Work with the Division of Adult Education and Professional Development System to provide professional development; and
- Work with national adult education and professional development partners to provide professional development opportunities.
Facilitation and Consultation Project – The Facilitation and Consultation Project supports programs in the implementation of high-quality, job-embedded professional development to improve program and student outcomes. Lead Consultants work with Agency PD Teams to support the planning, implementation, and evaluation of program improvement and professional development activities. The Project also provides training and support for teacher coaches that work with individual or small groups of teachers to improve their practices in a specific area.
Family Literacy Consultation Project – The Family Literacy Consultation Project (FLCP) is committed to providing high-quality, process-oriented, and content-rich consultation to family literacy programs across the Commonwealth. Partnering with the Professional Development System Lead Consultants and members of the Professional Development System, Family Literacy Consultants support programs by looking through a “family-focused lens.” Family Literacy Consultants can help you to:
- Identify, design, and facilitate job-embedded professional learning opportunities that address the unique needs of those; who work with families in the areas of parent education, interactive literacy activities, and early childhood education;
- Provide support to identify and establish community partnerships to enhance services; and
- Locate family literacy-specific resources that will enhance your services.
Management Information System Support – Management Information System (MIS) Support staff, Peggy Grumm and Jim Yeager, are available to agency staff to:
- Assist with effective data entry, collection, and use (both quantitative and qualitative data);
- Provide consultation on e-Data issues;
- Assist programs with reviewing qualitative and quantitative data to identify areas of strengths and areas of improvement; and
- Assist programs with reviewing qualitative and quantitative data to assist with the creation of documents to collect additional data.
Tutors of Literacy in the Commonwealth – Tutors of Literacy in the Commonwealth (TLC) is a non-profit organization that provides tutor training to adult literacy programs in Pennsylvania. TLC provides a variety of professional development opportunities to tutors and tutor coordinators. TLC services are available to all adult literacy agencies that currently use tutors or that would like to add a tutoring component to provide adult basic education and English as a Second Language (ESL) services.