English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Pennsylvania Immigrant Fact Sheet
- Professional development offerings for ESL instruction
- The Literacy Information and Communication System (LINCS) website includes ESL resources, online ESL discussion group, and professional development courses reviewing ESL. These courses are self-directed and you will need to create a free login to access these courses.
EL/Civics Lesson Plans
The following lesson plans were developed by teachers from programs with English Literacy/Civics Education grants. These grants integrated English literacy, United States history, and civics education programs that support adult learners.
The Learners’ Lives as Curriculum© Thematic Units
Learners’ Lives as Curriculum© is a model connecting professional development with materials development, in which practitioners develop materials for learners in their programs based on learners’ needs and experiences.
- Childhood Stories Reading Time
- Citizenship Who Am I
- Computers and Internet
- Food Memories
- Learning About English
- Living in Pittsburgh
- Moving to a New Community
- My Name
- My Neighbors
- Nervous about Getting a Job
- Our Children
- Places in Our Town
- Rate of Exchange students / teachers
- Speaking English
- Talking English in Our Town
- Talking on the Phone