English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Pennsylvania Immigrant Fact Sheet
- Professional development offerings for ESL instruction
- The Literacy Information and Communication System (LINCS) website includes ESL resources, online ESL discussion group, and professional development courses reviewing ESL. These courses are self-directed and you will need to create a free login to access these courses.
EL/Civics Lesson Plans
The following lesson plans were developed by teachers from programs with English Literacy/Civics Education (EL/Civics) grants. These grants specifically fund integrated English literacy, United States history, and civics education programs that support adult learners in becoming active and informed parents, workers, and community members.
The Learners’ Lives as Curriculum© Thematic Units
Learners’ Lives as Curriculum© is a model connecting professional development with materials development, in which practitioners develop materials for learners in their programs based on learners’ needs and experiences.
- Childhood Stories Reading Time
- Citizenship Who Am I
- Computers and Internet
- Food Memories
- Learning About English
- Living in Pittsburgh
- Moving to a New Community
- My Name
- My Neighbors
- Nervous about Getting a Job
- Our Children
- Places in Our Town
- Rate of Exchange students / teachers
- Speaking English
- Talking English in Our Town
- Talking on the Phone