Foundation Skills Framework
The Foundation Skills Framework, developed by the Institute for the Study of Adult Literacy at Penn State in coordination with workforce development partners and stakeholders, provides a common language and understanding of workforce preparation—or foundation—skills. Through the use of the Framework, professionals and students alike gain a more clear understanding of the basic skills, and competencies adults need to obtain and retain jobs and advance to higher-paying jobs. The Framework, visually represented as a wheel, has been used to build and plan workforce preparation and workforce education programs, help learners to set goals, develop curriculum and provide instruction, and informally document foundation skills achievement.
Post-COVID Workforce Preparation Activity Ideas – The activities can be adapted to be used with varying levels of learners while instructing face to face or from a distance.
Foundation Skills Framework and Career and College Readiness Standards Alignment
- Career Information Checklists aligned to the Foundation Skills Framework – This document provides a suggested alignment of each activity in the Career Information Checklists to the Foundation Skills Framework. Teachers can use this to aid in contextualizing instruction to individual learner career goals.
- Foundation Skills Competency List – Detailed lists of competencies that were identified for each foundation skill to provide a structure to 10 identify specific areas to target in programs, 2) help students to set realistic and measurable goals, and 3) record and document progress and achievement.
- Foundation Skills Self-Appraisal – Students self-assess their foundation skills and competencies to identify specific areas of strength and need. The results can be used to set learning goals, guide instruction, and informally assess progress.
- Foundation Skills Program Checklist – Programs can use this checklist to assess which work-based foundation skills they currently address and should address in specific program areas of the agency.
- Foundation Skills Rubric A guide to help ABLE practitioners to develop and use a scoring guide (rubric) to describe, observe, and document performance of the foundation skills and competencies on a continuum from “beginner” to “competent.” *Note: The wheel and competency lists were updated in 2016, and the revisions are not reflected in this publication.
Get the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader